Term 2 Writing Unit for Prep/Kindergarten
Secured and trusted checkout with:
This unit has literally everything you need to teach writing to your Kindergarten/Prep students in Term 2. If you’re a graduate teacher, new to teaching Kindergarten/Prep, or you just want to reclaim your nights and weekends, then this resource is for you! Featuring 40 lessons, each lesson slowly builds upon the previous ones so your students have the confidence and ability to grow as writers. With detailed lesson plans, digital learning intentions and success criteria and all your resources included, you won’t need to worry about planning writing for the whole of Term 2. I’ve done it for you!
Important: This is a digital resource. No physical resource will be shipped to you. You will be able to download the resource immediately after purchase.
What’s included in this resource?:
- 40 lesson plans – simply print and go! You won’t need to plan for writing for a whole term! I’ve got you covered.
- Digital learning intentions and success criteria for every lesson - Simply display these learning intentions on your Smartboard and click the lesson you are up to from the contents page. No more trying to cram learning intentions at the top of your whiteboard!
- All resources included – Whether it is picture prompts, learning intention slips for the students’ books, or support prompts to use at the tables, you will literally have everything you need. The only thing that is not included is your students’ writing books!
You will need PowerPoint to use the learning intentions resource. Also, the PowerPoint will need to be in slideshow mode for the animations and hyperlinks to work.
Please note the lesson plans are in PDF format so are not editable.
What kinds of lessons are included?
In this Term 2 Writing Unit, there is a focus on these five areas:
- Recount Lessons. Each week (once a week), the students will practise writing a recount. Each time they do, the success criteria slowly builds on the previous lessons. This means that your students’ confidence and ability to write a recount is continually growing.
- Picture Prompt Lessons. Each week, students will be given a picture to colour, then write about. Pictures include animals and places. Each week, students will be able to use a variety of sentence starters to write about their picture. As the term progresses, students will be encouraged to write multiple sentences.
- Sentences about themselves. Each week, students will have an opportunity to write about themselves. They will write about the family, their interests, the favourite things and more.
- Facts Lessons. In the first half of the term, students will write facts (or informative sentences) about an animal. Using a class-made can/have/are chart, your students will become confident non-fiction writers!
- Events in order Lesson. In the last part of the term, students will write about events in order. Each week the success criteria builds on the previous lessons so that by the end of the term, students can use the words: First, Next, Then, Finally.
Did someone say ‘differentiation’?
We all know that in one Prep/Kindergarten classroom, there can be a huge range of abilities. Well, never fear! Each lesson can be differentiated to suit the varying needs of your class.
In each lesson plan, there is a Support Prompt (which suggests a modification to the lesson for your less-able writers) and an Extending Prompt (which suggests what your top writers can do to extend themselves). Hello differentiation!
There is also a vast amount of supporting resources that you can print off and give to your less-confident writers. I believe all students should feel success, no matter what their level. So I’ve made sure to include more writing supports than you could imagine.
What else is awesome about this resource?
- There are 8 different font options. Why? Well in Australia we have different ways we teach handwriting. Kind of crazy, but true. So, you’ll notice this resource has font options: Victorian, NSW, SA, SA Beginner, Tas, QLD Beginner and Sassoon Primary.
- I’ve also included Century Gothic font for non-Australian teachers. In this option the printable resources are letter-paper size so will match your printers.
- There are two options for the Learning Intentions PowerPoint (for each font): one where you can edit the text, one where the next is not editable. To use the editable version, you will need to install the font onto your Smartboard. Don’t worry, it’s easy.
How the lessons work
Each lesson plan includes the following:
- Learning Intention and Success Criteria (remember, these match the digital ones you put up on your Smartboard
- Resources required (so you can quickly see which slide you will need and which printable resources to copy for your students)
- Whole class lesson – this is where you can use the script (or modify it) to teach your mini lesson. Each lesson builds on the previous ones at a comfortable pace. In this part of the lesson there is lots of opportunities for student participation, teacher think-alouds and joint writing.
- Independent activity: This is where students practise the skill you have taught them in the mini lesson. There are extending prompts and support prompts included as we all know, every class has a range of abilities. The differentiation is sorted for you.
- Reflection/Share time: This is the opportunity for students to share their work with their classmates. It’s a time to celebrate all learners, no matter their abilities. Suggested prompts are also included in the lesson plan.
This resource is PERFECT for you if:
- You are new to teaching Prep/Kindergarten and are unsure how to teach your students how to write
- You are a graduate teacher, feeling a little unsure because your university didn’t teach you how to teach writing
- You are a seasoned teacher but you are sick of planning and want your weekends back!
Frequently asked questions:
Q: What fonts are included in this resource
Victorian font, NSW font, SA font, SA Beginner font, QLD Beginner font, Tas font, Sassoon Primary, Century Gothic
Return & Refund Policy
Return & Refund Policy
Since your purchase is a digital product, it is deemed “used” after download or opening, and all purchases made on www.lovingthelittlies.com are non-refundable or exchangeable. Since the products made available here are intangible, there is a strict no refund policy.
Products are delivered digitally and immediately after purchase. There is no postal shipping method or specific delivery time.
Regular price $3.50 AUDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $79.00 AUDRegular priceUnit price per
$159.48 AUDSale price $79.00 AUD
Regular price $2.50 AUDRegular priceUnit price per