Small Reading Group Lessons for Kindergarten | Unit 1 CVC Words
Secured and trusted checkout with:
Are you a Prep or Kindergarten teacher who wants to implement Science of Reading best practices into your small reading groups, but not sure where to start? This resource was made for you! This CVC words unit follows a set scope and sequence, designed to help your beginning readers learn to read. Featuring 12 lesson plans, each with their own decodable book, you’ll have everything you need to deliver your small group reading lessons with confidence.
Important: This is a digital resource. No physical resource will be shipped to you. You will be able to download the resource immediately after purchase.
What is included in this resource?
- 12 lesson plans that follows a particular scope and sequence. (See below for the scope and sequence). Your students will not be expected to read a word if they haven’t already been taught those particular sounds!
- The lesson plans include Science of Reading best practices (see below for details). Do you have to include every part of the lesson? No! You can select parts that suit the needs of your students and how much time you have.
- 12 decodable books. These book are originals written by me and they follow the below scope and sequence. They are CVC word books (with a handful of high-frequency words). They also come in a single-page version for you to send home with your kids for fluency practise! (That way you can keep the book version at school).
- High-frequency word flash cards. Across this unit, students will be taught 19 high-frequency words. Some of these words are decodable (they can be sounded out), and some are heart words (they have a tricky part that needs to be learned ‘by heart’). The flash cards include a teacher script on the back of them to help teachers explicitly teach the high-frequency word.
- Word Mapping tool – A word-mapping tool is included to help students learn new high-frequency words.
- Observations checklist – An observations checklist template is included for you to record observations about your students’ abilities and areas of need.
- Large alphabet flash cards – These flash cards are included to help you to explicitly teach new sounds (and revise old ones)
- Small alphabet cards – These are included to help students practise blending sounds together to read words
- Sound strips - These are included for students to revise the sounds that they have learnt so far
What scope and sequence does this unit follow?
This unit focusses on CVC WORDS and sounds are introduced as per below. Across the unit, 19 high-frequency words (HFWs) are also introduced.
Lesson 1 – Phonics: s, a, t, p HFW: the
Lesson 2 – Phonics: i, n HFW: I, and
Lesson 3 – Phonics: m, d HFW: he, had, a
Lesson 4 – Phonics: c, o HFW: put, in
Lesson 5 – Phonics: k, g HFW: is, his, play
Lesson 6 – Phonics: b, e HFW: went, to
Lesson 7 – Phonics: u, r HFW: can, no
Lesson 8 – Phonics: l, h HFW: my
Lesson 9 – Phonics: f, j HFW: on
Lesson 10 – Phonics: w, x HFW: see
Lesson 11 – Phonics: z, v HFW: she
Lesson 12 – Phonics: y HFW: Review
What is included in each lesson?
Each lesson follows the same structure. You could do each part of the lesson, choose the parts that best suit your students, or split the lesson across two sessions. You can decide what works best for you, your students and your timings.
- PHONOLOGICAL AND PHONEMIC AWARENESS WARM UP – In this part of the lesson, students will practice phonological awareness skills such as rhyming, word awareness, and alliteration. They will also practise phonemic awareness skills such as blending and segmenting phonemes.
- PHONICS FOCUS – In this part of the lesson, the teacher will explicitly teach the new sounds that are being introduced. Students will also use their sound strips to practise previously learnt sounds.
- HIGH-FREQUENCY WORDS FOCUS – In this part of the lesson, the teacher will explicitly introduce the new high frequency word(s). Students will use their word mapping mats to tap, map and write the word(s)
- DECODING PRACTISE – In this part of the lesson, the teacher will model (and students will practise) blending sounds together to read CVC words. These words are words that will feature in the book.
- READING AND QUESTIONS – In this part of the lesson, students and teacher will read the decodable book. They will also answer questions about the story
- ENCDODING PRACTISE – In this part of the lesson, students will practise hearing and recording sounds of CVC words from the story on a mini whiteboard
- DICTATION – In this part of the lesson, the teacher will give students a sentence from the story. The teacher and students will write the sentence on mini whiteboards. The teacher will remind students about capital letters, spaces, full stops etc
- FLUENCY PRACTISE – In this final part of the lesson, students will read the book 2-3 times independently, with a partner or with the teacher. They will then be given the single-page version to take home and read with their families.
Please note these resources are in a ZIP file. All resources are in PDF format so are not editable.
Please note to print the decodable books, you will need to have access to a printer that prints double-sided. The books are in a print, fold and staple format.
Return & Refund Policy
Return & Refund Policy
Since your purchase is a digital product, it is deemed “used” after download or opening, and all purchases made on www.lovingthelittlies.com are non-refundable or exchangeable. Since the products made available here are intangible, there is a strict no refund policy.
Products are delivered digitally and immediately after purchase. There is no postal shipping method or specific delivery time.
Regular price $3.50 AUDRegular priceUnit price per
Regular price $79.00 AUDRegular priceUnit price per
$159.48 AUDSale price $79.00 AUD
Regular price $2.50 AUDRegular priceUnit price per